Sunday, October 4, 2015

conference week

It has been a busy week with Paul and Jill in town for conference.  Just thought I would share a couple experiences from the week.

Church History museum - We were able to visit the new church history museum with the Johnson's on Tuesday night.  If you haven't been there for a while there are a couple of things worth a visit.

There is a new video of Joseph Smith's fist vision that was awesome.  It is in this little half-moon shaped room that has a screen stretch 180 degrees around the room.  It is like watching a movie in 3D without the glasses.  Make sure you check it out.

The second thing you need to check out is upstairs in the children's area.  There is this wooden marble run that represents the life of Christ.  Make sure you are there for the explanation.  It was super cool.

While I was walking around looking at all the art, I couldn't help but think about Alisa.  I wanted to be impressed with all the beautiful art, it really is amazing, but I just wasn't.  I realized that as talented as these artists are, I longed for the perfect beauty that Alisa created in everything she did.  It was an amazing talent she had to see the beauty in the world, and then present it so that the rest of us could see it through her eyes.  I was a bit depressed looking at all the art, and felt like I was missing something.

Johnson Family Film Festival -  Friday night we all got together to enjoy some home made videos.  It is one of the funnest traditions.  All the families come prepared with shorts films, commercials, and original creations to share with everyone.  I rarely laugh so hard.  This year even the kids got in the spirit and created their own video.  I have posted the one James, Sam and Luke submitted.  If you haven't seen Studio C, this might not make sense.  Check out the "Just Jeremy" segment from Studio C to understand the premise.



I also want to mention something James did this weekend that makes me proud.  James is 14 years old and has some typical "teenager" attitudes and issues.  Anytime he does something I don't like too much his excuse is, "I am a teenager, Dad.." as if that explains everything.  He explains some of his actions a little more scientifically, something about how teenagers brains are going through lots of changes, and so he can't help being a little...crazy.  Anyway, he has his iphone and is pretty responsible with it.  His brothers complain that he is "always playing games," and he does play a bit, but just when I think I need to say something, I drop him off at his cousins and he just leaves his phone in the car.  I don't think that is typical of most teenagers (although I am no expert).  It was just comforting to see that although he may play on his phone, there are things he would rather do, like play with his cousins.

Everyone once in a while I will "catch" James while he is texting someone, I feel like it is my parental duty to ask who he is texting.  I asked him Saturday night after priesthood session.  "James, who are you texting?"  He replies "Tommy, we are texting about President Monson's talk."  Really? Nice work James.  Your mom would be proud.

I almost forgot.  Conference was great.  the kids listened most of the time (while building Legos) and I managed not to sleep during any of the sessions, which might be a first.



5 comments:

  1. You and Alisa have raised amazing kids...they will always carry Alisa's influence with them...I promise. I'll be sure to check out the Church History Museum next time I'm in SLC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doing a great job and when he wants to play with his cousin and not take his phone that's good.
    You not falling asleep during conf is wonderful and we are all prod of you. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are great kids. I loved their contributions to the film festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for the time we got to be with all of you, wish it was more, but it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for the time we got to be with all of you, wish it was more, but it was great!

    ReplyDelete