Sunday, June 14, 2015

Remembering

Tuesday evening Steven and Andrew stayed overnight.  All the boys get along great and it really is an easy thing to have them over.  The best part of the evening was during dinner (that was conveniently delivered).  When the boys start fighting during dinner we pull out this jar of questions to keep ourselves from getting out of control.

Here are some examples of the questions.

"What is your favorite thing about being a brother/sister?"
"If you could be an animal, what would it be?"

We came upon one question that seemed innocent enough...I would never have guessed where this lead.

"What is your favorite holiday?"  We had some of the expected holidays; Christmas, Easter, etc. We asked everyone to give one reason. Then it was Andrew's turn.

Andrew: "My favorite holiday is my birthday, because I get presents."
James: "Well, wouldn't you pick Christmas then, because you get more presents."
Andrew: "No, because on my birthday I get presents, and no one else does...(mischievous smile).

Then it was James turn.  He said his favorite day was March 10th because it was awesome (also happens to be his birthday.) We decided to check March 10th for any "awesome" holiday.

This was a mistake.  For the next 30 minutes we checked everyone's birthday and what special holidays were celebrated.  There were some great ones, and you can check out yours here 

I would bore you listing all the great holidays we found, but by far the best/worst one we found was on March 10th.  

International Day of Awesomeness! - no joke.  read all about it (we did)

James is never going to let us forget this.

That really was the highlight of our week.

Things aren't perfect though.  

Luke told me we needed to go on a vacation, to the Oregon coast, because Alisa always wanted to take us there.  I told him we would.  I can tell he is having a bit of a tough time.  He isn't excited about doing much, but does seem to have fun once he gets going.

Sam was having a hard time deciding if he wanted to go to scout camp this week.  Really??? Sam???  This kid loves the outdoors, scout camp should be heaven for him.  He is going and will do fine, but we are starting to see signs of strife around here.

I think James is doing the best.

I yelled at the kids yesterday (first time, since...not sure when, but it has been a while) for whining about helping around the house for an hour.  I apologized, they bucked up, and we got the garage clean.  This might be a little sacrilegious but sometimes I find myself thinking I should submit Alisa to become a saint, then I realize I am a member of the wrong religion for that.  I think I just want to talk to her again, and don't you pray to saints?  I am happy passing my messages to her through Heavenly Father, and I am sure she can hear me gripe all day anyway.  

I finally got up enough courage to listen the Alisa's funeral service.  It was hard, but also refreshing to listen to that celebration of her life.  My favorite part was when Brittany sang Amazing Grace at the graveside.  Here it is for those that were not there.



I also watched a slideshow Alisa's sisters made for the funeral.  It is awesome, made me cry (I guess lots of things do these days, but this especially)



Alisa's sister Kirsten also made this video, which is just beautiful.  Thanks Kirst.



19 comments:

  1. What an entertaining post - I'll have to check out that website! Thank you so much for the videos. I was not able to attend the funeral and really appreciate this! Thanks Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job Josh! All your efforts with the boys are noted and appreciated by Alisa and will most certainly pay off. These are beautiful videos, so full of LIFE! Loves you you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting all three videos. I loved watching them. You and your boys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting Josh, and for attaching the three videos. Mary Kate and I watched them all and had a good cry. After watching I'm supporting your plan for making Alisa a saint. She was a good one for sure!

    Also, I think March 10th is my new favorite holiday too. National day of awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I also checked the 'day' list and on my birthday it's "national klutz day," "national weed your garden day," and "national sewing machine day." LAME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh thanks so much for sharing how life is for you all now that Alisa is gone. I loved the videos and cried too. All my love to you and your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so stunning Josh...thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be surprised if there is anyone who doesn't cry. What beautiful tributes of a beautiful person inside and out! I hope you're being blessed with strength not only for you but to be able to care for your sweet boys too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your boys are so blessed to have you...you are amazing!! When my mom passed away, my dad would write in a journal to her every night. I actually did this too. For us, it allowed us the opportunity you crave so much to actually talk to her again. Maybe this could help you too? Praying for you guys everyday...I know Alisa is right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually doing this, I just summarize everything I write to her on the blog. I never thought about having the boys do it, good idea.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the post it is good to see how well you are doing and your boys
    The Urry's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Kirsten did an awesome job on those videos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't watched that slideshow until tonight. It was so beautiful and I will treasure it always. I'm so glad you have so many great pictures of her and your family. I could stare at them all day. Thanks for posting this, Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing the videos of Alisa! I sat in awe at what a beautiful person she was and feeling her love for you and your sons. I am keeping you in my prayers during this time. You are a great dad, Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Josh - we are thinking of you guys all the time and sending lots of love. Love the slideshows - really beautiful. If NYC ever sounds like a fun getaway - it would be so fun to have you again. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful videos. I loved seeing Alisa's face in various pictures of your boys. We sure love your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this! I've been thinking about you and the boys especially after Stake Conf. I totally think Alisa should be sainted. She was just that type of person. Sending love to you and the boys. Please ask if there's anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for posting these videos Josh. I was so sad I couldn't attend the funeral and love seeing little glimpses. The videos are truly inspiring to embrace life, enjoy the journey, and surround yourselves with beautiful things. I loved it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your post made me smile and made my heart hurt. Josh, I think your pretty amazing!!

    ReplyDelete