Sunday, June 21, 2015

fathers day

Fathers day has always been a good day at our house.  Breakfast in bed, sleeping in, avoiding any type of work, relaxing all day.  I basically accomplished all of those today.  We even made it to church (almost on time).

Yesterday my dad finished a bike ride from Reno to Salt Lake City.  A ride of over 660 miles in 6 days.  You can read all about the ride here.
http://www.ikickedcancersbutt.org/riders/rich-linton
https://www.facebook.com/RidefromReno
http://www.ikickedcancersbutt.org/

He rides for Alisa and sent us these pictures.





We all gathered at the University of Utah to welcome him home.  While we were waiting for my dad to come in, other riders would come in and the announcer would say their name and who they were riding for, an older gentlemen wearing a pink jersey crossed the finish line, and this followed.

Announcer: "and this is John Doe, riding for Jane, his wife, who passed away from breast cancer last year.

James: "Dad, why aren't you riding?"

Me: "uhh, I will next year, I have been pretty busy, I will do it next year"

James - in perfect teenager form: "hmm, I guess that is ok"

I couldn't help but think of Alisa, who constantly challenged me to be better.  (I should also mention that I have given James the job of editing this blog for spelling, grammar and historical accuracy, so some of the details above may change.)

This ride is hard (just talk to a bike rider if you can't imagine it) but my dad has been a strength to me and my family throughout our challenges.  He worked hard to support us growing up, he hired me after I graduated from college (even though in my teenage wisdom I had told him I would never work there again), he has continued to be an example to me and my boys.  His mother died when he was 12 and I am constantly reminded of the example that he is to my boys now.

We had dinner at their house tonight, now that I think of it, I am not sure I even wished him a Happy Father's Day, I am sure I didn't get him a present (Alisa always took care of that kind of thing), although I did take credit for dinner, claiming that was his present (except my older brother, Ashkii (and his wife) did all the work).  He played ultimate spoons with the nieces and nephews, and even changed a few rules.  I am proud to be his son.


We continue to figure out this new life of ours, and are grateful for all the love and support.

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there, and especially to mine.



10 comments:

  1. This sure gives me a lump in my throat. I never got to officially net your dad at the funeral, although we have probably met before. I can tell he is a great man, by how well his kids turned out. :) happy Father's Day Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Your dad is awesome as are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, you really do have a great dad. And you are such a great dad, too. Your boys are so lucky. Alisa chose well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Rich, he is truly inspiring, just like all of his kids. I know your kids have the same feelings about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool dad...he just seems amazing! Happy Father's Day to you Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your doing a great job!
    I'm sure you're dad just as good as you

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Typo so I'll try again. This is just another reason you're amazing.... you come from amazing stock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your parents are so neat. I really look up to both of them. I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day. Karin Christiansen Smith

    ReplyDelete