Sunday, July 19, 2015

how is your faith?

The other day at work a colleague of mine was talking to me about how we are doing and during the course of our conversation asked me this.

"How is your faith?"

I am not sure exactly how I answered his question at the time, but it made me consider the question and ponder on it some more.  I thought I would try and answer it here.

My faith in the gospel is very simple.  I sometimes told Alisa that it could almost be considered shallow.  I don't ponder the principles of the gospel, I certainly don't ponder the deeper points of doctrine.

For 8 years we lived a roller coaster of emotions.  Despair, hope, sadness, hope, devastation, hope, pain, happiness, scanxiety, hope, love, discouragement, joy, and many others.  We were blessed with miracles, and felt the hand of God in our lives.

The straight answer to the question about my faith, is that I don't feel like it has changed much, if at all.  I am not sure that is good or bad.  I have faith in the Plan of Salvation.  I can't imagine going through this trial without believing that I will one day be back in Alisa's arms.

Years ago our ward had a goal to improve family home evening, family prayer and family scripture study.  So they asked each family how we were doing, so they could encourage us to do better.  Here is how it went during our interview.

Bishop: "So how are you guys doing with family prayer?"
Me: "We are doing ok, we aren't perfect, but we do ok"

That is a pretty good answer, The bishop can encourage us to do better, it is a bit ambiguous so I don't have to admit exactly how bad we are doing, and we all leave encouraged to do better.  The boys didn't see it that way.  I am not sure exactly who said this, but I am pretty confident James started it.

James: "I would say we are about 70% on family prayer."
Bishop (somewhat surprised): "Oh, is that morning and evening prayers?"
James: "Just evening prayers, we are probably only 5% on morning prayers."
Bishop (now addressing James, because he gets much more specific answers): "So, what about scripture study?"
James: "Maybe 50%."
Bishop: "and Family Home Evening?
James: "probably 40%"
Sam or Luke: "no, maybe only 30%"

At this point Sam and Luke just want to be part of the discussion, I don't even think they understood what we were talking about.  Well it was all out on the table, we had a lot of improving to do, and the bishop knew exactly how we were doing.

We have been very consistent in our percentages over the years, sometimes better sometimes worse (a little ambiguity to keep you guessing.)

Some people go through trials, and come through better, stronger, confident that they would not go back and take away the trials if they could.  I do not feel this way.  Alisa and I used to joke about the "silver linings" of our situation, we never forgot sunscreen, we talked more, I enjoyed just being with her (even shopping), amazing vacations (Hawaii, Disneyland), and many others.  The truth is, I would give up all of those things to have skipped this whole cancer business.

Am I grateful for this trial?  Nope, I don't think so.  Am I a better person? I am certainly a better person than I was 8 years ago, but lets hope I would have improved even without cancer. Are my kids better off because of this trial?  Only if they want to be super heroes*.  I can't think of a situation for these boys better than being influenced every day of their lives by Alisa, so although I think they will be amazing, I can't help but wonder how much more amazing they would have been with her by their side**.

I am lucky that my faith has not been negatively affected by this.  Of course there are the times of doubt and wonder, but I always come back to that basic faith in the Great Plan of Happiness.

So, how is my faith?  I have an unwavering belief that I will see Alisa again, that alone will keep me going for many years.



*the boys and I are constantly trying to find super heroes with parents.  We think all the good ones don't have a mom or a dad (which is why I discourage this particular career path) although I think someone does have a father...but maybe they turn out to be bad.  We don't focus too much on princesses, but I think they also require the loss of one or both parents to qualify.

**I do believe that Alisa will attend the boys during their lives, but I am just not convinced that being their "guardian angel" is better than being here on earth with them. A guardian angel is one thing, but who is going to teach them to act like gentlemen, and how to dress, and how to pick up girls (actually I can handle that one).

8 comments:

  1. Witty, raw, honest. Your posts are a window into your mind, and we're all wondering what you're thinking (in a positive way). As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts and talent for writing. And if I may validate you for a minute - I also think the Gospel is simple, and I'm not yet sure I'm grateful for some of the trials I've been through. But in the end, the reassurance that we have that our Heavenly Father has a Plan of Happiness and Love for each of us, even if that plan is sometimes painful and confusing, let's us know these trials we're not that grateful for are meant for us, for our progression, for our refinement, for our eternal happiness. But ouch...sometimes they really, really hurt. Prayers and love to your family. Your boys are so witty like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your posts as much as I enjoyed Alisa's! Your honesty is refreshing. Your comments are genuine. Yup, you're all 4 super hero's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your honesty. And although not your marvel heros, the incredible are a super hero family. I think y'all qualify since I think you're all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post. Not sure i could be thankful for my trials. But you do a great job with the boys. Not sure how i would handle the questions

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish we could have skipped the cancer business too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always admired Alisa's ability to be real - even in the face of something like cancer. She was honest - so honest. You too, Josh. Your writing doesn't back away from the hard points and doesn't paint the situation with a big stroke of "it is all OK." This is a gift for your boys. Feeling all sorts of conflicting emotions and going through difficulty is probably much easier with parents who are willing to real and honest about their own emotions. You are a really great dad, Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was so good. I often wonder how my life would've been had my mom not passed away when I was 16 or how my cancer may affect my own life and my kids in the future. I agree, I'd give up all the blessings to still have her here because I'm pretty sure my life would've been a good one, but not the same. I'm sure as time goes on, you'll see reasons why this was the plan for your family...at least I have. As a side note...it is pretty crazy that EVERY princess does not have a mom. Weird! Always thinking and praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite part about this post is how the boys all jumped in to insert more details. Almost like they were tattling. Hahaha!!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts... We are all rooting for you and those sweet boys. I miss her every day. ❤

    ReplyDelete