Sunday, July 26, 2015

decisions, decisions, decisions

If any of you have ever taken an accounting class from BYU it is possible you took it from Norm Nemrow.  He taught many years at BYU and I think was one of the best teachers I had.  It was an introduction to accounting and I learned accounting was not the career path for me, but I learned quite a bit.

One of the things I remember from accounting is the concept of a "sunk cost."  The basic premise is  that once you have spent money on something, whether it turns out to be a good purchase or a bad purchase, you should not determine future spending based on previous spending.  For a better explanation you can check it out here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs

I treat many of my decision with this concept in mind.  I typically don't have "buyers remorse" because I can't change the situation, I might as well make the best of it.  Trust me, I have made some pretty bad purchases, and Alisa reminded me of those regularly, but I just decided to make the best of it and move on.  This also means that when I am making a decision I will gather all the relevant information and then decide.  If it is wrong, I deal with it, confident I made the best decision possible with the information I had at the time.

I tell you all this because I realized over the last couple weeks, that much of my confidence relied on my ability to talk to Alisa about the decisions and get her thoughts and feelings on the situation.

Out of all the hard things we have faced over the last 2 months, trying to make decisions (one in particular) is by far the hardest thing for me to do.  Let me explain.

We received an amazing offer from a friend to accompany him on a river trip the third week of August.  I immediately said we were interested, and left it at that.  As I started looking at our schedule for August leading up to school I started to get nervous about going on this trip.  For a week I wanted to talk to someone (Alisa) about what would be best.  I couldn't think of anyone else I could rely on to give me the advice I needed.  I finally ended up talking to the boys, co-workers, friends, and family.  I was hoping for a consensus, and instead received good advice, split between going on the trip, or skipping it.

Finally, I decided that it was too much for us to make this trip.  The school year will be a new chapter for us, and I felt like I needed some runway to prepare.  I think the boys were a little disappointed, but they have been awesome and understood that maybe this is not our year for this trip.

I have not really been afraid of what we face without Alisa, until I realized I am solely responsible for our family decisions, and there are many more to come, and they will likely be more critical than a river trip.  The prospect of making those hard decisions without Alisa, that is scary.

7 comments:

  1. I know you feel you are alone in the decisions you will make, but I'm sure you've also realize that you can always pray to Heavenly Father and he will guide you through those decisions. I know it doesn't feel the same as actually talking it out with Alisa, but hopefully it will come close. Keep going. It sounds like you're doing amazing and all the things you are realizing and learning from this experience seem to be a true blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had good words of advice as I cry reading your last couple posts. I can't imagine what this would be like but I can tell you are handing things so smart and you are putting your family first and it will all somehow come together in a new way but my prayers are with you that you have Alisa helping you make these decisions in a new way now. You are doing a great job ! Thanks for sharing all your raw and real struggles, and triumphs on your new journey , you are helping us all by sharing .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing great and the Lord will help you as well as Alisa in different ways. You have to do what you fell best with at the time. You know if it good or bad but your the only one who knows what you can d6

      Delete
  3. That must feel really overwhelming. you do have good judgement, though, and I think the Lord and Alisa will be able to help too. Hang in there you are doing really well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh, you are very practical and I think, in most cases, that will be a strength. In the times when you feel like you need to make more of an emotional decision... Well, you can always poll your heck of a lot of sisters-in-law, and the heck of a lot of Alisa's friends, all of which seem to be highly emotional. (Me included) ❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds super overwhelming... It makes my heart hurt for you. I think of your sweet family all of the time. I know I say it a lot , but I think you are an amazing Dad and I am sure Alisa has all the confidence in the world that you will make the right decisions. Like staying home from your trip, sounds like a practical Alisa decision to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, last post was from me, but for some reason posted under my husband.

    ReplyDelete