Sunday, September 20, 2015

charity golf tournament

every year my work puts on a charity golf tournament to benefit Hunstman Cancer Foundation.  We have been doing it for 8 years (ever since Alisa was first diagnosed).  It is an amazing event and we have tons of fun.

for years I have wanted to take all of the boys with me.  The problem in the past was that only Luke really enjoyed golf, and Alisa was not a big fan of me taking them out of school for a day.  Well this year they all enjoy golf enough to spend a few hours playing, and I was the only one around to make the decision, so they got to come.

besides the fact that it rained basically the entire round of golf, we had a good time.  We play up at Wasatch State Park and the scenery is breathtaking.  The fall colors are awesome and even if your golf is poor, it is still worth the time in the mountains.  The highlight of the day was when I let James borrow my driver.  I can't believe he is tall enough to use my clubs.  He got up and took a practice swing, because it was wet and rainy, the club slipped out of his hand, and went flying into the trees.  James was terrified that I would be angry, but I just laughed, mostly because I knew we would find it.  We started looking and spent 15 minutes with no luck.  We played the rest of the round without a driver.  After the round was over we went back to look some more.  After an hour of looking we gave up.  We had lost my Taylor Made R9 driver...  Looking back, I should have really yelled at James.  But the story is not over.  On the next hole, I hit one of the best shots of my life and stuck my tee shot about 4 ft from the pin.  I won the closest to the pin contest and won....a new driver.  It was a good day, and I can't wait to play next year.




After Alisa was first diagnosed, we immediately went to Huntsman and began treatments.  Over the years we had to leave Huntsman for some experimental treatments.  We visited some of the top cancer hospitals in the country to receive these treatments.  The interesting part is that we only looked outside of Huntsman, because Alisa didn't fit the trial criteria for the same drugs that were available at Huntsman. 

we have the best cancer hospital in the country.  We have experienced others, and as great as they were, none of the facilities, doctors, or nurses could compare to what Huntsman has built right here in Utah.  I can't put into words what Mr Huntsman has created, but the doctors and nurses there, seem to not just care for their patients, but love them as well.  

I will forever be grateful for the support we received from Huntsman, specifically the nurses and doctors that supported us through it all.  

8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I can convey how much I love the story about the driver. Tender mercies abound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which hole was this? It might be worth my time to go looking for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hole nine. it disappeared over the trees fifty yards after the red tees.

      Delete
    2. hole nine. it disappeared over the trees fifty yards after the red tees.

      Delete
  3. Love the story, love the shout out for Huntsman, my feelings exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story, love the shout out for Huntsman, my feelings exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan's family has camped and golfed at Wasatch state park for 41 years. We were there September 17-20th this year. Too bad we couldn't help you look for your driver... But so glad you won a new one! That course is Ryan's favorite! It's beautiful! So glad you and your boys got a chance to play it at the perfect time of year... And for such a great cause!!!

    ReplyDelete