Sunday, September 6, 2015

school and fun

School started a few weeks back and I think we are finally getting into the swing of things.  We had a busy summer and the school year looks to be much of the same.

Each of the boys have their own things going on.

James
James started 9th grade this year and is pretty excited to be at the top of the food chain.  He plays trombone in the Jazz band.  He is doing rock climbing at Momentum a couple days a week and is enjoying that.  I am excited that he will be able to teach me some rock climbing techniques.  He is so fun to talk to and his confidence is awesome.  Two James stories that made me laugh over the last couple weeks.
  1. We went golfing last Friday.  James drove one cart with Sam, and Luke and I rode in the other cart.  I have always told my boys that they don't have to love golf, they just have to like it enough to play a round together.  This was the first time we made it through, and everyone enjoyed it.  One of the problems with me and sports is that I have a hard time not trying to "correct" the boys every time they swing.  At one point James miss-hit a shot, and then I hit one that was worse.  I took the opportunity to explain that the boys shouldn't get discouraged with bad shots, even experienced players hit bad shots.  After my "speech" James looked at me and said "Dad, I don't get discouraged."  I love this kids confidence.
  2. I was in San Francisco last week for work and the nanny started Monday while I was gone.  After the first day, she asked if she could take them to get some jeans (that's right, my kids didn't have jeans).  I gave James a credit card a while back for situations like this.  They found some jeans and went to pay.  They asked for ID.  This is a problem because the credit card is Alisa's old one.  The conversation went something like this
                            James: I don't have ID.
                            Cashier: Do you have approval to use this card?  Who are you? (looking at Sydney)
                            Sydney: I am the nanny
                            James: Yes we have permission.
                            Cashier: Who is, Alisa Linton, this is her card.
                            James: She is my mom.
                            Cashier: Where is she?
                            James: She is dead.
                            Cashier: uh, ok, we will take care of you.
When James told me this story I was laughing so hard.  I am so impressed with his ability to handle these situations with strength and confidence.  He kept asking me if he should have said something else.  Nope, he said exactly the right thing.

Sam
Sam started 7th grade and also started playing lacrosse.  He is playing the clarinet in the band.  The choice of instrument has been somewhat of a challenge.  He really wanted to play the flute.  I might have not been supportive of this choice, so I asked some questions about why he wanted to play the flute.  I thought that if it was because he would be surrounded by girls, I could support the flute.  Nope, it is because he wants to play the piccolo.  I asked why he wants to play the piccolo.  Sam said "because it can fit in my pocket."  After a few exhausting conversations we decided to let the band teacher help him decide, and if they need more flute players, I would support him.  Luckily during his first days of band the teacher lined up all the kids that hadn't chosen an instrument and told them he was going to choose for them, based on their "personality."  As Sam recounts the story "He looked at me and immediately said, the clarinet. He didn't even hesitate, he knew right away, He had to think about it for the other kids."   I think I agree with Sam, Mr. Summers was inspired. Sam has not had the easiest time with music, but he is loving the clarinet and even practices without being asked.

Luke
Luke keeps busy with his school work, piano, and soccer.  He is playing goalie for his soccer team this year, and has been doing a great job.  For a kid that is pretty terrified of anything new, I was nervous he may not like it, but he committed in the spring to play goalie this year and has worked hard, improved a ton, and gets up when he gets knocked down.  I love watching his games, and have even learned to keep my mouth shut (80% of the time).

Josh
The highlight of my week in San Francisco was Tuesday night when I found out Phantom of the Opera was playing.  I saw Phantom for the first time back in junior high or high school with Alisa.  It has always been one of my favorite musicals, and maybe it is because I first saw it with her.  It was a little sad going to a play by myself, but it was a fun trip down memory lane.  Alisa an I saw Wicked at this same theatre in San Fran just a few years ago.  

The round of golf I played with my boys last Friday was a dream come true.  They enjoyed it, I enjoyed it, and I look forward to many more rounds together.

Los Linton Boys
Sydney (our nanny) started on Monday and has been fantastic.  When I told her she would be starting the same week I would be gone, she wasn't worried at all.  She got the kids ready for school picture day, she went to Luke's back to school night, made dinner, made sure the kids practiced their music, got them to their activities, bought them some jeans (this is a first for Sam), and still wants to come back next week.

We went on a short backpacking trip yesterday up to the Uintah's with some of our cousins and uncles and had a great time enjoying the outdoors, even if we still haven't unpacked from the trip.

Last but not least, we watched BYU beat Nebraska yesterday in miraculous fashion.So awesome!

12 comments:

  1. the credit card story makes me proud of James. Don't tell him I said this :), but he really is awesome. All the Linton boys are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that he didn't lie when asked about where is your mom and willing to say she's are nanny. Your boy's are great and your such a great Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's possible that time you saw Phantom with Alisa was on our choir tour to San Francisco. Even that might have been in the same theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's possible that time you saw Phantom with Alisa was on our choir tour to San Francisco. Even that might have been in the same theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That credit card story made me laugh..."she is dead"...talk about a record scratcher ;). I was on choir tour senior year and we saw Phantom...I'm positive you and Alisa were there. That trip was awesome! So happy things are smoothing out and getting a little easier for you and your guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing all you guys are up to. I am super impressed you went to phantom and glad it provided good memories of Alisa ! The James story is totally Alisa too ha ha! BYU game was crazy amazing.... Glad we can still be friends as opposing fans ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. SAMs clarinet story made me think of "the wand chooses the wizard". Glad you caught the game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're raising some pretty amazing boys, so courageous and confident. Pretty sure they get it from you... like going to see phantom, geez, way go! Glad your boys are starting to love golf, I think my two youngest just go with their Dad to drive the cart;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking Harry Potter, too but more like "lots of potential here...you could be loud..." "Not trumpet...not trumpet" "not trumpet, eh? I know just where to put you then...Clarinet!"

    The golf story is a dream of mine, too. Someday maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the updates! Everyone sounds so good and Sydney sounds like the perfect fit! I love that you went to the play by yourself... I think I know where James gets his confidence from!

    My husband has the same dream of golfing with his three boys (with no fighting, and everyone enjoying it.) we are a very, very
    long way from that... So glad you're to that point now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Linton logic of picking out an instrument by size!

    ReplyDelete