Sunday, September 13, 2015

happy (but not the best) birthday

I went to the temple this week.  It is the first time since Alisa died.  I never loved going to the temple by myself when Alisa was alive, it was especially hard with her gone.  There is no question that I feel closer to Alisa while I am at the temple, but maybe that is what makes it so difficult.  She is so close, yet so far away.

I had my 37th birthday yesterday, and although we never made a big deal out of birthday's, Alisa always had something up her sleeve to make it special.  I had a great birthday, even if Alisa was missing.  Alisa's family was very thoughtful and gave me some wonderful treats to enjoy during the football game.  My family invited us for dinner and hung out with me during the football game.  BYU won, which is about as good a present as I could ask for.  But my favorite present was the birthday sign James put up while I was gone.  He also wrapped a present for me.  

James wrapped my present and when I got home, Luke asked if he could go get the present and bring it out.  James said "uh, probably you shouldn't, it might fall apart if you pick it up."  So we went into my room and unwrapped what looked suspiciously like a hockey stick.  James said "that took me so long to wrap..."  He did a great job, and I will probably never be able to express how blessed I am to have him around. For example, I won't let him have instagram, I won't bore you with my reasons, but he is constantly giving me reasons he should have instagram.  He doesn't complain, or throw fits about ruing his teenage life, he just accepts my reasons, and pesters me good-naturedly about signing up.  I try to post picture of him regularly so he doesn't feel totally left out of the scene, so last night while he was at the BYU game with his friends we had this messaging exchange.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, it was a fun day, surrounded by family and people I love.

p.s.  I know who paid for the hockey stick, and I will pay you back, somehow.
p.p.s For those of you wondering why I need a hockey stick.  my brother in law asked if I wanted to play in a rookie hockey league with him, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try.  

4 comments:

  1. Glad you went to the Temple I'm sure it helped. You are such a good Dad to those 3 boys and they Love you.
    All your post helps us as well as you. Thank you for them.
    Happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boys are awesome. But coming from two amazing parents, it should come as no surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping BYU would win just for you. I feel like it's a good omen somehow. I mean, if you can't have your wife around, at least your team wins, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Josh! Your boys sound like the sweetest kiddos. I love that James had to remind you about 'selfies'😂.

    ReplyDelete